Relaxing Weekend  


Returning to work after two weeks of vacation was difficult.  It's hard to believe that after three more months, I will have successfully (knock on wood) completed my first year of teaching overseas.  Looking back on the experiences that I have had, both professionally and personally, I am truly thankful for this opportunity.  It has not always been smooth sailing.  There have been some great highs and few lows.  Throughout the whole process I feel that I have learned a lot about myself.  I didn't intend for this post to be so serious, so I'll change the subject . . .

This weekend has been a relaxing one in Guayaquil.  I can't say that I did a whole lot other than recuperate from a busy two weeks.  Today, I did have the chance to go to an amazing soccer game.  It was time for another Clasico (the game when the two professional Guayaquil teams play each other).  It was the most outstanding, outrageous, and entertaining sporting event that I have ever been to.  The first game I went to was at Barcelona's stadium.  It is a huge modern stadium.  This game was at Emelec's stadium.  It is smaller and with much more character.  The place was packed with rowdy fans.  It was great!  BO, fireworks, yelling, screaming, dropping beers on Barcelona fans, yellow and red cards . . . it is truly an impossible scene to describe.  It was truly electric.  Husker fans are very passionate, but I have never witnessed fans like Emelec and Barcelona.  Emelec won this game 3-0.  I wish I would've taken my camera, but it will have to wait until the next time.

Below are some fotos from the Carnaval break that didn't make last week's post . . . take care!


Proud owners of paja toquilla hats (Cuenca).

Last day of Carnaval (Cuenca).
Cuencanos relaxing in the plaza.
Flowers at Laguna Mojanda (Otavalo).
More flowers at Mojanda.
Laguna Mojanda
Chicken, anyone?
Waterfall in Baños . . . it used to be just be one waterfall and was recently formed into two.
Ready for space travel (Baños).
Volcano Chimborazo in the background.
A view of Altares (Baños).
Volcano Tungurahua and Altares
Guitar shopping in Baños
The family at work.
Ended up with two guitars . . . one for my brother and one for me.


This entry was posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments