Vilcabamba Day #2  

Day two was just as satisfying as the first.  Today's hike was much better than yesterday's, although I can't complain about yesterday's either.  Early on the trail I met a French girl who did the hike with me.  It was a bit more difficult hike, with more uphill sections and two ridge line walks.  The views were even better than yesterday's trail.  The hike was meant to take five hours, but we finished it in three.  The last hour or so had us come off the ridge line and down to a river bed.  This was my least favorite part of the hike.  It was riddled with barbed wire fence and trash in spots.  My hiking buddy even went head first into some of the barbed wire.  Luckily she wasn't bleeding.  No more than ten steps later she ran into a tree limb in about the same spot on her head.  Unlucky day, but she was fine.  It was really hot at the start of the hike and cooled down the higher we got with the help of the wind.  I came back and relaxed with the help of the hammock, a book, and some light rain.  The two pants that I brought with me are now drenched in sweat and caked in dirt and horse, donkey, and cow manure.  People on the bus to Guayaquil are going to looooove me in a few days!  Here are some pics from today:

Lovin' the rural life.
Which one is the jackass?
The valley with Vilcabamba waaaay in the background.
The amazing Andes



Trying not to act scared of the height
Part of the ridge line walk - parts were no more than 2 feet wide



Ridge line with a sketchy section in the middle.  Yes, I cried the whole way haha.






























Back at the hostel to relax







This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments